Tuesday, August 9, 2011

S Korea's Kim Yu-na to miss 2011-12 Grand Prix





S Korea's Kim Yu-na to miss 2011-12 Grand Prix
Kim Yu-na of South Korea performs during the women's free skating event at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Moscow, April 30, 2011. [Photo/Agencies]

SEOUL - South Korean figure skater Kim Yu-na said Monday she will not participate in the 2011-2012 Grand Prix series in order to focus on helping her country win the bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics.  






Her remarks came after she returned home from the World Figure Staking Championship in Moscow, where she finished second after Japan's Miki Ando.
"It will be hard for me to prepare for the Grand Prix series as I'll be busy until July on promoting Pyeongchang's Olympic bid," said the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics champion.  
The 20-year-old unveiled her new short program to the ballet "Giselle" and her free skating to a compilation of traditional (South) Korean music in her first international competition since last year's worlds. Kim settled for the silver medal with a score of 194.50 points.
"I'm grateful that many people liked and praised my new programs. My goal was not to win, but rather to show my new programs as much as I had prepared. It was a satisfying competition even though I got a few regrets," said Kim.  
Kim is scheduled to host an ice show for three days from Friday and then goes to Switzerland and South Africa to help campaign for Pyeongchang's bid to host the 2018 Winter Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment