Saturday, May 19, 2012

More Than a Beauty Queen: Meet Miss BC Tara Teng


TaraTeng
This weeks time I had to be able to go to a displaying of our movie at Trinity European School, where my partner Jay and I did Q & A with the learners afterwards.  The occurrence was organised by Tara Teng, a wonderful and vivid student who is enthusiastic to end contemporary captivity and exploitation.  Moreover to being a student, she is the chief executive of the public rights team and has two tasks.  Did I discuss she also happens to be Forget BC?

My appointment with Tara was wonderful – her interest to combat individual trafficking is contagious!  This young lady is established, inspired, and active, but she is also respectful, thoughtful, and others-focused.  I wish this appointment is able to catch some of that!

How did you get engaged in the combat against individual trafficking?

When I was youthful, around 10 decades of age, I was interested with the subterranean railway and the transatlantic servant business.  In my beginning teenagers I kept operating into the subject of individual trafficking…documentaries, content etc.  I got to the factor where I began to actually look for it instead of just arriving across it.  Tho whole factor reluctant me. It’s risky, and we will be sincere, I’m not the hardest individual out there!  It got to the factor where I thought: I am sick and exhausted with being too reluctant to to be the individual I was blessed to be.  I cannot keep this to myself.  Now you cannot have a discussion with me without discussing this.

tara teng abolitionist1

What are you currently learning and how do you see that enjoying out in the future?

I’m learning Understanding, with an British and Terminology concentrate. I want to use education as a recovery and avoidance device for individual trafficking.   Understanding is energy. Understanding provides sources for individuals to traffic-proof their life, especially those residing in hardship. Whether I actually end up being a instructor or not – who knows where daily challenge golf paintballs will take me! But I know that my profession will in some way be linked with abolition.  It is to be established how that performs out!

Miss BC 300x199How have you been engaged in the combat against trafficking so far?

Telling everybody I can. Social networking is awesome. Facebook or myspace, Tweets, my weblog. As Forget BC the opportunity to propagate the phrase has been amazing! Now I am doing presentation regularly, and they always start off with ‘why did you do the pageant’ and ‘what do you wish to do now as ruling Forget BC?’ Human trafficking is what I’m discussing. That is when the journal appointment really begins to go somewhere!  I’m doing about 4 interviews/speaking places a month.  I had never even done any presentation before summer time season and everything is accident course learning!
MissBC 300x201

What is the reaction when you do these interviews?

At first they come in with their preconditioned concept that I am just going to be a ‘pageant young lady.’  They ask me all time if I want community serenity, and I say: “No, I’m here to announce war! War on disfavor, war on greed…!”  And they say…’okay that is very cool!’ I had never done a contest before.   Pageants are not my concentrate. I always say that I’m not a elegance king, I’m an abolitionist.  That is the center of it for me: public privileges, individual privileges, conclusion exploitation, discussing out for the oppressed and the marginalized, and increasing attention of conclusion contemporary captivity.  The name is just a foundation and road which to do it.


guatemala 300x225Our community gives us a very one-dimensional edition of elegance.  It is all about sex charm. What is your description of beauty?

I always say that the community needs to know that they were incorrect about elegance. And that is something that is really essential to me. Beauty is not a competition. Its not a epidermis color or a dimension or a design. Beauty is the history we keep behind, elegance is elegance, elegance is sympathy, elegance is rights. Beauty is in when doing what you know is right, elegance is effect.  ’Beautiful’ ladies are a penny a number of, and you will discover them all over the position. ‘Beauty’ tarnishes and facial lines and it’s epidermis deeply, but the factor that is really wonderful is the way that we really like one another and the way that we take a position up for one another…that is the factor that will really create an effect. Individuals forget that because they want to comform to the well-known concept of elegance.  But I never want to spend my some time to my lifestyle on that. I want to be courageous enough to be myself, because that is something that is wonderful.

antitrafficking 300x225What is the one concern you wish individuals requested you?

Any concern that causes rights. I dislike it when individuals evaluate me to Forget Teenager Southern region Carolina and that young lady who got that charts and Irak concern incorrect. I just think, “I’m so not like her!” This is my center. I wish individuals requested me where they can indication up, what they can do.  Because that is when we will really begin to see a modify.

antitrafficking 300x225What are your wants Forget Canada?

Of course everybody wants to win, but for me it’s about nationwide attention and to be able to create this concept worldwide. This is what I was blessed to do. Those are my wants Forget North america. I will know by Sunday what the result is, but going into it, I know what I take a position for, and if that is not what they are looking for that is okay.  Because another entrance is going to begin, and the concept will get out.  I’m not going to bargain or water it down, perform the overall activity so I win the name, because this is what I am known as to do. Those are my desires around it.

MissBC with Prime Minister Stephen Harper


No comments:

Post a Comment